KNOWLEDGE BASE Visas And Work Permits For The UK


October 30th, 2019 Update: On March 29, 2017, UK Prime Minister Theresa May triggered Article 50, which formally started the process whereby the UK will leave the European Union. The original plan was for the UK to leave the EU on March 29th, 2019 but the process has proven to be very complicated and dates and outcomes have continued to shift. On October 28th, 2019, the EU agreed to push the extension deadline to January 31, 2020. 

We will continue to update this bulletin as information is provided.


Expansion Guide - Visa And Work Permit Options For The UK


Knowing which visa or work permit is right for your situation, and going through the application process, can seem daunting. Globig has compiled visa and work permit information and resources to help you navigate this confusing area. 


Globig's Hiring In The UK section and the resoures below lay out your visa options. You can get more detailed information in the links and in the Hiring In The UK section.

If you plan to go to the UK to set up or run a business, you will need a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Visa
If you want to send an employee to the UK to set up a branch or a wholly owned subsidiary, your employee may be eligible for a Representative of an Overseas Business visa. Your employee can apply for a visa to go to the UK as a representative of an overseas business if he is from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland and is the sole representative of an overseas company planning to set up a UK branch or a wholly owned subsidiary of an overseas parent company.
If you want to send or transfer one of your current employees to the UK, he or she will need a Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) Visa
If you hire or bring employee into the UK from the EU, EEA, or Switzerland, as long as they have a valid passport or ID card, they do not need a visa to go to the UK or a work permit to work in the UK, with the exception of newly admitted (to the EU) Croatia. Croatians interested in working in the UK need to apply for a registration certificate.

Globig Knowledge Base

Learn more about visa and work permit options in this related Globig Knowledge Base section.

Hiring In The UK


Globig Resources

Use these related resources if you would like to learn more on your own.

Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Visa

Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Visa Guide

Representative of an Overseas Business Visa

Representatives of an Overseas Business Guide

Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) Visa

Tier 2 Policy Guide

Agency Workers Regulation 2010

Employing people resources from


Globig Marketplace

Are you ready to explore what service providers are available to help you on the ground in the UK?

The Globig Marketplace contains vetted, quality service providers who can help you. Review your options, learn more about them, and even send them an RFI. 



Do you have additional questions or want some help?

Globig is here for you.  Send us a message and we'll get back to you right away to assist you in your global expansion. 

KNOWLEDGE BASE Visas And Work Permits For The UK